Sunday, January 1, 2012

New Year New Start 2012

Well to begin with I'd like to wish everyone a Happy New Year!

I'm sure I'm not the only one who makes a promise with the best of intentions, to quit something or to have some sort of self improvement as a new year resolution.  Well this year is no different... I have made myself a promise that I am going increase my fitness levels, lose body fat and tone up.  I know it isn't exactly an unusual concept, and something that I'm sure other people around the globe have declared to do too.

I'm sure it's not just me that has received a cynical look from close friends or family members when I have made a declaration to do something different, so this year, I am not going to go through that humiliation.  Instead, I am going to use this blog as a "Dear Diary" so to speak.  It means I can communicate things, without being judged, or having to listen to people not take me seriously.  It also means I can make notes of things that motivate me, and share stories from those days that are harder than others.  And, it also means I have to stay true to myself and stick to the plan.  Hopefully, anyone reading this blog who can relate, will join me on this mission.

So today is 1st January 2012.  For me this means:
  • No more junk food, except on allowed cheat days, and only if it's an urge I can't resist.   
  • I have to make my primary beverage water, and warm green tea. Though I will still allow myself to have a medium glass of fruit juice for breakfast (although that will cost me around 100 calories)!  
  • I will endeavor to use the George Foreman grill for cooking meat, 
  • I will use my juicer at least once a week - to make a "high nutrition" shake, 
  • I will try to avoid microwave meals as much as possible, and reduce my use of the microwave altogether (yes Microwaves are not that healthy for you)... 
  • And probably the most important thing is making sure I get at least 30mins of exercise every day, and at least 1.5hours of cardio or strength training every other day.
  • Keeping a weekly progress report including a weigh-in.
  • Keeping record of any days I couldn't stick to the plan - or ate badly.
  • Getting rid of any excuses.
I do have a gym membership, but I know it's going to be busy throughout January with all the new people who, like me, have made a new years resolution to lose weight/get fit, so for the time being, I am going to start off with:
  • Power Walking in my neighborhood
  • Zumba Dancing/Training on my Wii
  • "Playing" Wii Sports, Just Dance 3, and the Michael Jackson Experience
  • Intense house work - heavy duty cleaning etc
  • Getting up to change the TV channel, instead of just using the remote
  • Doing something active whilst watching TV or a movie
  • Using hand weights and exercise ball.
Then by mid February, the gym should be almost back to normal (yes most of those new members will have given up already), so I will start using it again, especially for the strength training, as I can do most cardio outside of the gym.

If any of you are reading this and are planning to do something similar, then I'd love to set up a little social group where we can share ideas and tips, and help keep each other motivated.  By the end of the year I want to feel like a different person... so my one question to you is... ARE YOU IN?






1 comment:

  1. Good luck - it's a great plan which I hope you enjoy following :)

    ReplyDelete